Car Insurance

Getting insurance for your vehicle doesn’t have to be confusing or difficult. At SurNet, we have taken the guess work out of getting a customized and affordable quote. When you work with a SurNet broker, you will get a personalized comparison of coverages and rates from all of our top insurance companies. Think you are paying too much? New Canadian driver? Too many tickets? We can help.

Contact us today and start your Peace of Mind Journey with SurNet.

Q. Do I need car insurance?

A. Ontario law requires that all motorists have auto insurance.

If you drive in Ontario without car insurance, you can be fined, have your driver’s licence suspended and/or have your car impounded. Fines can range from $5,000 to $50,000. Furthermore, if you are convicted of driving without car insurance, you may be considered a high risk driver which means higher premiums. Even though we do have options for you, we highly recommend that you don’t drive without a valid insurance policy.

Q. What coverage do I need?

A. In Ontario, you are required to purchase the following coverages:

Third Party Liability – This protects you if someone else is killed or injured or their property is damaged. It will also provide coverage for lawsuits against you. Although other amounts are available, $1 million is typically the lowest anyone should have. Your SurNet broker will be able to discuss your personal needs and make recommendations you can choose from.

Statutory Accident Benefits – Regardless of who is at fault, “SAB’s” provide benefits if you are injured in a car accident. They include supplementary medical, rehabilitation and attendant care, caregiver, non-earner and income replacement. You have the option to increase these benefits to suit your unique situation or leave them at the base amount.

Direct Compensation – Property Damage – Also knows as “DCPD”, this covers damage and loss of use to your vehicle and/or its contents when another person is at fault provided the following conditions are met;

  • the accident took place in Ontario;
  • there was at least one other vehicle involved in the accident; and
  • at least one of the other vehicles is also insured by an insurance company that is licensed in Ontario

If any of these conditions are not met, then you can make a claim on your optional Collision coverage.

Uninsured Automobile – This coverage protects you and your family in the event that you are injured or killed by an unknown driver (hit and run) or an uninsured driver. Damage to your car caused by an uninsured driver is also covered.

For more information on car insurance in Ontario, please visit the Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario’s website.

Motorcycle Insurance

You’ve got the ride, the freedom of the open road, the wind in your face, but do you have the right motorcycle insurance? Kick that stand up and leave your worries behind. Take comfort in knowing that you have a SurNet broker working for you and go out and enjoy that ride…you deserve it.

With all the different types and sizes of bikes out there, finding an insurer can be difficult. SurNet has partnered with several insurers who specialize in insuring motorcycles. So whether you have a sport bike or a cruiser, we have a policy for you.

Q. Do I need motorcycle insurance?

A. YES! Just like car insurance, it is mandatory in Ontario.

Riding without insurance can result in fines or license suspensions.  You could even have your bike impounded.  If your are convicted of riding without insurance, you will have a hard time finding coverage and when you do, your premiums might be unaffordable.

Q. What coverage do I need?

A. Motorcycle insurance is very similar to car insurance, so you need the same coverages.

A standard motorcycle policy comes with Third Party Liability, Statutory Accident Benefits, Direct Compensation – Property Damage and Uninsured Automobile.  You can also choose to add Comprehensive and/or Collision coverage and increase your Accident Benefits.

Q. Motorcycle insurance is so expensive, how can I make it more affordable?

A. The cost of motorcycle insurance greatly depends on the type of bike you own and the experience you have but there are things you can do to bring the cost down:

Take a rider training course – Much like Drivers Ed, completing an accredited rider training course will not only allow for discounts on your policy, but it will teach your how to ride safely.  Taking a government approved course could also reduce the wait times for graduated licensing.  The Financial Services Commission of Ontario has provided a list of these approved course providers.

Consider a less powerful bike – Bikes with higher cc’s and horsepower come with higher risks and higher rates.  Think about what you need in a bike and chose a bike that fits your price range.

Bundle your insurance – Most insurance companies offer discounts when you insure more with them.  Ask your SurNet broker to also quote your home and car to find out how much you can save.

Customize your policy – Can you afford a higher deductible?  When you contribute more to the cost of a claim, the insurance company will reduce your rates.  Do you even need collision coverage?  When your motorcycle as a lower replacement cost it might not be worth paying for collision coverage and also being responsible for the deductible.  Your SurNet broker can discuss the your options to help you decide what is right for you.

Keep your driving record clean – Accidents and tickets on your driving record can increase the amount you pay for insurance.

Off-Road Vehicle Insurance

Q. I don’t ride my off-road vehicle on the road. Do I still need insurance?

A. YES!!

If you plan on riding your ATV or snowmobile anywhere but your private property, the Ontario government requires that you buy an automobile insurance policy for your off-road vehicle just like you would for a car. Without the proper insurance, if you are riding on public land, you may be fined or have your vehicle seized.