It’s been just over one week since Southern Ontario & Quebec were hit with a severe thunderstorm. It’s extremely important to communicate with your broker and confirm that your policy has the appropriate coverage needed in case there is a natural disaster.

The first stage of preparing for strong winds is keeping an eye on the weather. Like most Canadians, this is almost a national hobby, so you’re probably well on your way.

When it comes to preparing your property, municipal government, public works and utilities websites can offer advice on how to protect your home. It may also be worth having a building inspector evaluate your home’s capacity to resist extreme winds, especially if you live in an older home.

Damage from wind and tornadoes is usually covered by homeowner insurance — as well as auto, condo, tenant, farm and commercial business policies. However, it’s best to discuss this with your insurance broker to understand the types of damage covered under your policy and ensure you have appropriate coverage. If specific types of damage are excluded or have specified limits within your policy, it’s crucial that you understand that in advance.

While tornado season takes place from April to September, typically peaking in June and July, high winds and tornadoes can still occur most times of the year. And the problem is expected to get worse, thanks to climate change and increased development in at-risk areas like the Prairies.

When it comes to wind and tornadoes, it’s a good idea to talk to your broker and have a plan that will protect your valuable home in advance of any wild weather event. Your broker can also review any updates to your property that could require policy adjustments, and ensure you’ve got the proper insurance coverage in place. The next time the trees start swaying and the storm rolls in, you’ll be ready.

Sources: Wawanesa Canada, Insurance Bureau of Canada